I have following questions on Zakah in context of Mr. Ghamidi's view that 10% of salary is deductible.
1. I learned that 653 Kg of dates or equivalent amount of salary is exempted. But price of dates is highly varying from type to type. So what is your opinion on determining a fair equivalence?
2. What if there is nothing left from monthly expenses even after applying this exemption? Not so long ago, I used to be in a government service though respectable but barely met ends in these expensive times.
3. Is the amount accumulated besides this 10% monthly deduction, also subject to annual 2.5% Zakah?
Here are the answers to your questions:
1. The exemptions in zakah are not part of the shari'ah. The state has the discretion in this matter. The exemptions can therefore vary. In current circumstances, they can be taken to be the same as our government has fixed for the salaried class category.
2. Zakah should be treated as an expense. Just like an electricity bill or a school fees it is another expense head.
3. Zakah will also have to be given annually at 2.5 % on whatever amount (cash + assets) a person may have at the date a person has fixed for zakah deduction. Items of personal use like a personal car, personal house, everyday worn jeweler etc are exempt from zakah.