University of Wales, Lampeter, United Kingdom
Ph.D. Title of dissertation: Collection of the Qur’ān: A Critical and Historical Study of al-Farāhī’s View (2010)
Under the tutelage of Javed Ahmad Ghamidi for religious studies (1988-)
University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan
B.Sc Electrical Engineering (1990)
The Government College, Lahore, Pakistan
Intermediate, Pre-Engineering (1983)
Special Area of Interest
History of the Qur’ān and the Previous Scriptures
Associate Fellow (1992-2008) / Fellow (2008 to present) at Al-Mawrid, A Foundation for Islamic Research and Education, Lahore, Pakistan (www.al-mawrid.org)
• Recently completed (2018) an eighteen year research project on the history of the Qur’ān that attempts to address the issue of multiple versions of the Qur’ān and some nagging questions regarding its collection.
• Completed translation of a five volume Qur’ān commentary (Urdu to Eng) of Jāved Aḥmad Ghāmidī titled Al-Bayān. (1998-2018).
• Currently working on translating a nine volume Qur’ān commentary (Urdu to Eng) of Amīn Aḥsan Iṣlāḥī titled Tadabbur-i Qur’ān (2008 to present).
• Currently working on a critical study of the corpus of Ḥadīth literature, including the “Hagar-Zamzam” narratives, “First Revelation” narratives and “Return of Jesus” narratives.
On Campus Work for Al-Mawrid
• Vice President (1995-1996/2013-2019). I assisted the president in organizing academic research work on Islam, its subsequent publication and various educational activities. Also oversaw administrative and financial spheres of the foundation.
• Secretary General (CEO) (2012-2016). As a representative of the Board of Governors of Al-Mawrid, was required to run the foundation comprising more than thirty staff members.
• Headed a graduate program of Islamic Studies (1999-2001) offered in affiliation with a private university (MA Jinnah University, Karachi). Work included organizing staff affairs and also supervising the syllabus and its effective instruction.
• Instructor for Qur’ānic studies (1999-2001). Besides teaching, responsibility involved developing the pedagogy and curriculum for teaching the Qur’ān to graduate students of the foundation.
• President, Centre for Islamic Communications (1997). The objective of this centre was organization and marketing of various media of Al-Mawrid as journals, audio-video cassettes, lectures and seminars.
• Director General (1993-1995 / 1998-2003). Job responsibility as Director involved development of the institute and management of all its affairs.
• Director Admin (1992-1993). Job responsibility involved assisting the President in the administration of the institute.
• Editor of Renaissance Journal (1991-1995/ 1998 to present)
Oversaw the management of a monthly Islamic journal and all aspects of its publication. Over the course of almost three decades, the journal has published several hundred articles on various aspects of Islam.
Online Work for Al-Mawrid
• Launched in 2014 http://www.abdus-sattar-ghauri.org, a website on the Biblical scholar Abdus Sattar Ghauri (1935-2014).
• Launched in 2012 http://www.tadabbur-i-quran.org, a website on the exegesis of Amīn Aḥsan Iṣlāḥī (1904-1997), a Qur’ānic scholar of the sub-continent.
• Launched in 2010 http://www.hamid-uddin-farahi.org, a website on life and works of the Qur’ānic scholar Ḥamīd al-Dīn Farāhī (1863-1930)
• Launched in 2004 http://www.amin-ahsan-islahi.org, a website on life and works of the Qur’ānic scholar Amīn Aḥsan Iṣlāḥī
• Launched in 2003 http://www.studying-islam.org, a website that offers online courses on Islam in English and in Urdu. Currently, there are over fifteen thousand registered students from around the globe and about 50 courses on Islam in English and Urdu.
• Launched in 1999 http://www.monthly-renaissance.com, the website of the monthly Islamic Journal Renaissance. Besides regular issues, special issues on Islam and Non-Muslims: A New Perspective, Islam and Women, Political Directives of Islam, Economic Directives of Islam, Understanding Islamic Punishments and Collection of the Qur’ān have been published.
• Launched in 1998 a comprehensive distance learning program for Al-Mawrid. It was well received in an era where online religious education was not that common.
• Founded an Islamic Query Service (IQS) in 1997-2003), an email based service meant to answer questions on or about Islam. By 2003, more than 3000 questions had been answered by this service.
1. A New Economic Framework, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 1995.
2. Common Misconceptions about Islam, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2008.
3. Playing God: Misreading a Divine Practice, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2010.
4. Islam and Women: Misconceptions and Misperceptions, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2010.
5. Essays on Character Building, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2015.
6. Qur’ān Workshops on Character Building, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2016.
7. Lessons on Character Building, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2016.
8. Selections from the Qur’ān, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2015.
9. Selections from the Bible, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2015.
10. Selections from the Ḥadīth, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2014.
11. Introduction to the Qur’ān: Insights from Jāved Aḥmad Ghāmidī, 1st ed., Lahore:
12. A Treasury of Prayers from Qur’ān and Ḥadīth, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2017.
13. The Good Human, 1st ed., US: Amazon, 2019.
14. Modern Challenges to Parenting, 1st ed., US: Amazon, 2019.
15. History of the Qur’ān: A Concise Study, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2018.
16. History of the Qur’ān: A Critical Study, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2019.
17. From the Core of my Heart (poems), 1st ed., US: Amazon, 2019.
Translations (Urdu to Eng) (Published)
1. Selections from the Tadabbur-i Qur’ān, Amīn Aḥsan Iṣlāḥī, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2004.
2. Jāved Aḥmad Ghāmidī, Mīzān (Islam: A Comprehensive Introduction), 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2010.
3. Jāved Aḥmad Ghāmidī, Al-Islam (Islam: A Concise Introduction), 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2009.
4. Selected Essays of Jāved Aḥmad Ghāmidī, 1st ed., Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2015. (co-translator)
5. Jāved Aḥmad Ghāmidī, Al-Bayān, 1st ed., vol. 1, Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2015.
6. Jāved Aḥmad Ghāmidī, Al-Bayān, 1st ed., vol. 5, Lahore: Al-Mawrid, 2015.
Translations (Urdu to Eng) (Unpublished)
1. Amīn Aḥsan Iṣlāḥī, “Tadabbur-i Qur’ān” (Pondering on the Qur’ān), vol. 6, (Al-Mawrid, 2016)
2. Amīn Aḥsan Iṣlāḥī, “Tadabbur-i Qur’ān” (Pondering on the Qur’ān), vol. 7, (Al-Mawrid, 2015)
3. Amīn Aḥsan Iṣlāḥī, “Tadabbur-i Qur’ān” (Pondering on the Qur’ān), vol. 8, (Al-Mawrid, 2015)
4. Amīn Aḥsan Iṣlāḥī, “Tadabbur-i Qur’ān” (Pondering on the Qur’ān), vol. 9, (Al-Mawrid, 2014)
Works in Print
1. History of the Qur’ān: A Critical Study
2. From the Core of my Heart (poems)
I have lectured in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Singapore and Pakistan. Some important topics include:
1. Critical History of the Qur’ān
2. Misconceptions about Women in Islam
3. Interfaith dialogue
4. Selected Biblical Verses
5. Question on the Qur’ān by Serious Students
6. Misconceptions about Islam
7. Muhammad (sws): The Misunderstood Prophet of Islam
8. Marriage and Married Life
9. Basic Morality
10. Islam and Islamic Welfare State
11. Misconceptions about Divorce in Islam
12. Misconceptions regarding Jihad of the Companions of the Prophet (sws)
13 Imbalanced Religious Attitudes
14. Intellectual Freedom and Critical Thinking
16. Challenges faced by the Youth of Today
17. The Mind of a Muslim Militant
I have also conducted several activity-based workshops for adults and sessions on Character Building and Personality Development for teenagers. Topics include:
2. Pride and Arrogance
3. Remembering God
4. Civic Sense
5. Kindness to Parents
8. Moral Courage
10. Showing Off
13. Sinful Speech
Have also recorded a 90 lecture series on the history of the Qur’ān that is available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sNWx-SSvc8&list=PL7oYOZNO0kHwDzi9P4UmSremVOVKzku7s
An avid tennis player besides being a swimmer, cricketer, golfer and a chess player.
Hobbies include reading books on religion, philosophy, literature and history and writing poetry.
Born on 18th June, 1966. Married with one son.